Spend a weekend soaking up the atmosphere and antiquities in Athens - or go further afield to see Mycenae, Epidavros or Delphi.
Activity code: GRSB01
Duration: 4 Days
Flights to: Athens
Highlights of the Mini Classical Short Break
- Athens - a bustling city with a fantastic range of shops, both modern and traditional. Head to Plaka, the old town, with its myriad of narrow alleys for a good choice of souvenirs. You could easily spend several hours at the Acropolis with its temple to the goddess of wisdom and city patron, Athena. The second most important archaeological site is the Greek Agora or market place; Athens also has its Roman Agora, funded by Julius Caesar and dedicated to Athena. Roman ruins can still be seen in the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch.
Athens, the modern capital of Greece with its 4 million inhabitants, has spread itself out alongside a 2500 year past which comes close to perfection in culture and art. Apart from the abundance of its archeological interests, Athens has quite a lot to show to its visitors in the modern city with its renovated neo-classical houses, the "Zappeion", Monastiraki and the Flea Market to name but a few. Athens was the most famous city of the ancient world and has long been considered as the birthplace of democracy and civilization. The city centre is actually very compact and easy to get around thanks to the excellent metro and tram system. To get an idea of the scale of the city it is good to head up to the top of Lycabettus Hill - on a clear day you can see across to the Saronic Islands.
All our holidays are tailor-made which means you are free to reserve through us any or all components of your ideal short break. Our experience, living and working in Greece for many years allows us to share our experience of this beautiful country with you. At Rediscover we have always loved and appreciated the real Greece and we believe that our experience and contacts in Greece enable us to bring you an unrivalled choice of short breaks to this incredible country.
- Private airport transfers.
- 3 nights on BB at a choice of hotels in Athens.
- Private half day city tour
- A choice of further sightseeing (depending on duration):
- Half day along the coast to ancient Cape Sounion.
- Full day "Three Island Cruise".
- Visit to the Argolis region (Mycenae, Epidavros, Corinth).
- Full day visit to the ancient site at Delphi.
- Full 24hr local agency services.
Not included: In January Greece introduced an Overnight Stay Tax of 0.50 to 4 Euros per room or apartment per night, which is payable locally - the amount varies according to the category of the accommodation (i.e. most self catering and 1-2 star hotels = 0.50 Euros, 5 star hotels = 4 Euros).
- Cape Sounion - has a dramatic location overlooking the Aegean. At its tip is the 5th Century BC Temple of Poseidon, once an integral part of any Grand Tour itinerary (Lord Byron's name is carved into one of the pillars).
- Delphi - once considered to be the centre of the Ancient World, occupies a stunning setting in the shadow of Mount Parnassos. The combination of extensive classical ruins and beautiful views makes Delphi one of Greece's essential sights.
- The Argolis Journey includes visits to the important sites of Mycenae and Epidavros (opposite) and includes the bonus of stopping to see the incredible Corinth Canal en route out of Athens. Mycenae, famously being the home of Agamemnon, was excavated by the world-renowned Heinrich Schliemann in the late 19th Century and is a truly memorable site on any Classical Tour. Epidavros still holds concerts and theatre productions and its acoustics are almost perfect.
- Three Island Cruise - Aegina, Poros and Hydra. Aegina's Temple of Aphaia forms a mystical triangle with the Parthenon and Cape Sounion and the island itself is well-known as a producer of excellent pistachio nuts. Poros, with its proximity to the Peloponnese, is an ideal place to enjoy a drink at one of the harbour cafes and watch the world go by. Hydra is very different again, its traffic-free streets offer a timeless experience of Greek life. Hydra is now a mix of bohemian life and boutique hotels and is one of the most exclusive resorts in Greece.
Contact us for further information or a quote.
NB: Flights available to book with us through a range of airlines, or we can simply make all the land arrangements if you have booked your flight independently.