An activity-based holiday in Marrakech & the High Atlas. Perfect for the whole family to enjoy together!
START / FINISH - Marrakech
Activity code: MOHO05
Duration: 8 Days
The High Atlas Family Holiday package is an ideal way for you to enjoy the whole experience of travelling to Morocco together as a family. We include family-friendly accommodation in Marrakech at a choice of good quality riads and small hotels in the foothills of the High Atlas. In our opinion, the smaller and more traditional places to stay are a great way to experience the incredible variety of Moroccan and Berber culture on offer.
We have designed this holiday to be flexible to meet the needs of most families, this means there is a great selection of activities which can be pre-booked as part of the overall holiday itinerary. The most popular are bespoke guided city tours, guided day hikes with Berber picnic lunch, 4WD tours of the mountain villages, traditional cookery classes, quad biking, camel rides, spa treatments, water parks and much more....
Highlights of the High Atlas Family Holiday:
- MARRAKECH - A historic city nestled on a large plain at the foot of the snow-capped High Atlas Mountains; as such it is the perfect city to begin your visit to Morocco. Surrounded by its original fortified city wall Marrakech entices you into its midst to explore the historic and labyrinthine Medina, its palaces, gardens and souks. Today, Marrakech has become a thriving metropolis with chic night spots, top restaurants and a very modern atmosphere in places, all of which emphasises the immense historical context of the Medina and its focal point, the Djemma el Fna. By staying in a small riad in the Medina you will encounter this way of life first-hand and how it changes throughout the day.
- OUIRGANE - The High Atlas Mountains are dominated by some of North Africa's highest peaks and their breathtaking size towering above the Berber villages provides a backdrop for Ouirgane and similar Berber villages. Ouirgane and nearby Marigha are surrounded by almond blossom in early spring and are just an hour's drive south of Marrakech. Our choices are the Kasbah Tatfi which has a large garden, swimming pool and is perfect for families both in terms of facilities and rooms - there are some excellent family rooms with joint entrances to make them into larger private units; another option is the Kasbah Angour in Tahanout.
- DOUAR SAMRA [High Atlas, near Imlil] - The Douar is the traditional dwelling of the Berber villagers. This particular property, built in stone, was lovingly restored by Jacqueline using local craftsmen and materials. Rooms and facilities are of a good standard and at an altitude of 1850m they offer a true insight into Berber life. The Samra is an ideal place to stay before departing on your hikes into the High Atlas. Luggage will be carried to & from the Douar Samra from Imlil village centre by mule - a small charge for each mule is included. Dinner is taken at the top of the kasbah in a colourful, friendly dining room to enjoy the good home cooking and a roaring fire awaits you in winter (and at other times of the year if it gets a bit chilly at night). The roof terraces are a perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun and scenery; from the balconies and roof terraces there are fine views of the valley opposite including the village of Imlil below and the peaks towards the Toubkal summit to the south, snow-capped for much of the year.
- DAY HIKES - We have included a circular hike in the holiday cost which can be either from Imlil (directly from the Douar Samra) or Ouirgane (directly from Kasbah Tatfi). For families there is a choice of shorter or longer routes and you are able to walk at your own pace with our guide. An excellent picnic lunch (or warm tagine in winter) is included. From Imlil we recommend walking east to the Tacheddirt area and from Ouirgane we suggest a circular walk of the Tassa Ouirgane National Park taking in views across the new lake. Of course, you can do both if you wish (small supplement applies).
- RIADS in MARRAKECH - Many treasures, especially the now-famous riads, are hidden away in Marrakech and other cities in Morocco, such as Fez and Essaouira. Riads are houses, built around a central courtyard patio, whose outside walls are entirely closed. They are often converted into guesthouses or restaurants and are a symbol of the Moroccan art of fine living. We recommend riads in our holidays where the local staff are integral to the experience and all food and drink and many other materials involved with your stay and the building itself are all sourced from the local area.
Why book with Rediscover the World ?
Accommodation: the riads and other places to stay in this itinerary are our personal choice, all of which offer quality accommodation. You may prefer a small and friendly option or one of the luxury, boutique properties, (and please do not hesitate to request alternative hotels).
Transport: to take the stress out of arriving and departing we offer a private airport transfer service. We also include private transfers throughout your holiday in a sensibly-sized comfortable vehicle with a/c.
What's included in your Morocco High Atlas Family holiday?
- Private transfers throughout.
- 3 nights on BB basis at a choice of riads in Marrakech
- 2 nights on HB basis at the fabulous Douar Samra near Imlil (family suite)
- 2 nights on HB basis at Kasbah Tatfi in Ouirgane (family apartment/suite)
- Half day guided tour of historic Marrakech.
- Full day excursion to the Cascades at Ouzoud.
- 1 guided day hike, either from Imlil or around the Tassa Ouirgane National Park (or both).
- All taxes, full 24 hour representative services.
Optional extra activities such as quad biking, spa treatments, cookery class, camel rides are available to book.
NB: Flights are available to book through us with a wide range of airlines, from various UK airports. If we book your flights this means that your holiday will be fully ATOL protected.
Our recommended hotel choices for this holiday:
- Marrakech: - Riad Mur Akush, Riad Hikaya, Riad Les Trois Mages
- High Atlas: - Kasbah Tatfi, Douar Samra, Kasbah Angour
Contact us now to book this recommended Holiday for any dates.