A unique holiday experience - stay in a riad & a Berber guest house then a 3 day guided hike in the High Atlas.
START / FINISH - Marrakech
Activity code: MOHO04
Duration: 8 Days
An Encounter with the Berbers is an experience package; it is an ideal way for you to sample the incredible variety of traditional Berber Culture on offer in Morocco without having to travel huge distances.
This holiday allows you to immerse yourselves in the Berber culture and by staying in small-scale traditional accommodations and walking in the foothills of the High Atlas with one of our vastly experienced, local guides and support team you will truly understand the Berber life and landscape. With a guided city tour of Marrakech, a fun day out in the Berber villages and private transfers between locations this holiday is a highly recommended package for couples and families alike. We can offer this itinerary for any dates throughout the year.
Highlights of the Encounter with the Berbers Holiday
- MARRAKECH - A historic city nestled on a large plain at the foot of the snow-capped High Atlas Mountains; it is the perfect city in which to begin your visit to Morocco. Surrounded by its original fortified city wall Marrakech entices you into its midst to explore the historic and labyrinthine Medina, its palaces, gardens and souks. Today, Marrakech has become a thriving metropolis with chic night spots, top restaurants and a very modern atmosphere in places, all of which emphasises the immense historical context of the Medina and its focal point, the Djemma el Fna. By staying in a small riad in the Medina you will encounter this way of life first-hand and see how it changes throughout the day.
- DOUAR SAMRA [High Atlas, near Imlil] - The Douar is the traditional dwelling of the Berber villagers. This particular property, built in stone, was lovingly restored by Jacqueline using local craftsmen and materials. Rooms and facilities are of a good standard and at an altitude of 1850m they offer a true insight into Berber life. The Samra is an ideal place to stay before departing on your hikes into the High Atlas. Luggage will be carried to the Douar Samra from Imlil village centre by mule - a small charge for each mule is included. Dinner is taken at the top of the kasbah in a colourful, friendly dining room to enjoy good home cooking and a roaring fire awaits you in winter (and at other times of the year if it gets a bit chilly at night). The roof terraces are a perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun and scenery; from the balconies and roof terraces there are fine views of the valley opposite including the village of Imlil below and the peaks towards the Toubkal summit to the south, snow-capped for much of the year.
- TREKKING IN HIGH ATLAS MOUNTAINS - The three day hike included on this itinerary is one of our most popular short hikes; the route across from Imlil to Setti Fadma is a fabulous traverse of both the natural High Atlas scenery and the culture and environment of the Berber people. The hike experience is enhanced by staying one night in Imlil prior to departure as you can spend time getting to know your guide in the morning over a cup of tea whilst bags are being loaded up and then you walk directly from the Samra.
- RIADS in MARRAKECH - Many treasures, especially the now-famous riads, are hidden away in Marrakech and other cities in Morocco, such as Fez and Essaouira. Riads are houses, built around a central courtyard patio, whose outside walls are entirely closed. They are often converted into guesthouses or restaurants and are a symbol of the Moroccan art of fine living. We recommend riads in our programme where the local staff are integral to the experience and all food and drink and many other materials involved with your stay and the building itself are all sourced from the local area.
Why book with Rediscover the World ?
Accommodation: the riads and other places to stay in this itinerary are our personal choice, all of which offer quality accommodation. You may prefer a small and friendly option or one of the luxury, boutique properties, (and please do not hesitate to request alternative hotels).
Transport: to take the stress out of arriving and departing we offer a private airport transfer service. This is then carried through your holiday with private transfers included between Marrakech and each of the High Atlas locations (to Imlil and return from Setti Fadma).
Extra Information: All our holidays include our own guidebook with your confirmation and we are able, on request, to book activities and additional sightseeing, particularly in Marrakech - such as cookery classes, quad biking, caleche rides, museum visits, and so on.
What's included in your Morocco Berber Experience holiday?
- Private transfers throughout.
- 4 nts on B&B at a choice of riads in Marrakech.
- 1 nt on HB at the fabulous Kasbah Samra near Imlil.
- Half day guided tour of historic Marrakech.
- Full day excursion to the Atlas Mountains by 4WD.
- 3 days, fully-inclusive guided & supported hike. Imlil to Setti Fadma route takes in many Berber villages, stunning scenery and includes 2 nights in Berber Houses.
- All taxes, full 24 hour representative services.
Flights are available to book through us with a wide range of airlines, from various UK airports. If we book your flights this means that your holiday will be fully ATOL protected.
Our recommended hotel choices for this holiday:
- Marrakech: Riad Mur Akush, Riad Zamzam, Riad el Zohar, Riad Kniza, Riad Hikaya
- Imlil: Douar Samra, Kasbah du Toubkal
Contact us now to book this recommended Holiday for any dates.