Walking and swimming in the Land of the Centaurs combined with the sacred UNESCO site of Meteora. Lots of wonderful, freshly made local food along the way.
START / FINISH - Thessaloniki [Athens, Volos - on request].
Activity code: GRPW01
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate. [Participants should be in good physical condition with some relevant hiking experience.]
Duration: 8 Days/7 nights
Mount Pelion, otherwise known as the Land of the Centaurs, is covered with lush vegetation, orchards, olive and chestnut trees. Twenty-four villages emerge through the forests with their remarkable cobblestone paths and characteristic manor houses.
Along the coastline you'll discover isolated shores drenched in a tapestry of colours, sandy beaches and picturesque fishing villages that create a perfect combination of walking and swimming, while admiring stunning views on almost every route.
This tour, combined with a hike through the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Meteora, is a hiking lover’s dream and has something for everyone. These monasteries, built on top of steep sandstone peaks (the monks used rope ladders and nets to ascend and descend), make Meteora one of the most breathtaking sites in the world. The monasteries were built by the monastic community in the area around 11th century A.D. Today, only 6 out of 22 monasteries are inhabited and accept visitors. The combination of incredible hiking paths, breathtaking views and fascinating cultural and architectural uniqueness make this tour a great choice.
This walking holiday is available as part of a Small Group or Private Journey. Our guides are officially qualified Mountain Guides and have many years of experience. Overall this is a hiking and food lover's dream and has something for everyone.
Suggested equipment for your trekking holiday:
- Bottle/flask of water (1 litre per day)
- Walking poles
- Sun protection & sunglasses
- Bathing suit & towel
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof coat / windbreaker, comfortable clothing
- HIKING BOOTS ARE NECESSARY!
Please note that this tour is subject to change at the discretion of the tour leader, according to weather conditions or circumstances beyond our control.
- Minimum 2 persons, maximum 8 persons
- Minimum age - 12 years; participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- In January 2018 Greece introduced an Overnight Stay Tax of 0.50 to 4 Euros per room per night, which is payable locally - the amount varies according to the category of the accommodation (i.e. 1-2 star hotels = 0.50 Euros, 5 star hotels = 4 Euros).